Kara Mulligan, M.Ed, Registered Clinical Counsellor
Kara Mulligan holds a Master's degree from the University of British Columbia. Committed to continuous growth, she consistently engages in professional development to enhance her knowledge and expertise. Recently, Kara completed specialized post-graduate courses focusing on attachment, parent-child relationships, adolescent development, anxiety, OCD, and trauma.
With over 15 years of experience in the field, Kara has been providing counseling services to individuals across various age groups. Her previous work at Child and Youth Mental Health allowed her to specialize in assisting children and teenagers dealing with challenges such as Anxiety, ADHD, Depression, Trauma-Related Symptoms, and OCD. Since then, she has accumulated extensive experience working with adults.
Kara's counseling approach is firmly rooted in research, ensuring the most effective and evidence-based techniques are utilized. She adapts her approach to suit the unique needs of each individual she works with. Drawing from a diverse range of therapeutic approaches, including Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Emotion Focused Family Therapy, narrative therapy, parent-child and teen attachment, family of origin work, and expressive tools, Kara tailors her sessions to achieve the best possible outcomes for her clients.
One of Kara's greatest strengths is her ability to create a welcoming and collaborative environment. Whether working with children, youth, or adults, she fosters a warm and supportive space that encourages active engagement and growth.
In summary, Kara Mulligan is a experienced counsellor with a wealth of experience and expertise. Her commitment to ongoing development ensures that she remains at the forefront of counselling strategies.
- M.Ed. Counselling Psychology; University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology); First Class Honours; University of Victoria
- Vancouver Coastal Health – Child and Youth Mental Health (CYMH) in North Vancouver and Vancouver
- Private Practice – Neurogenex, Counselling Services for Children, Youth, Adults and Families
- Private Practice – Positive Discipline Parent Education Groups (North Vancouver)
- Vancouver Coastal Health – Child and Adolescent Program (CAP) in North Vancouver
- South Vancouver Youth Centre (Vancouver)
Recent Continuing Education
- Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions (SPACE) expanded - ARFID & Failure to Launch
- Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions (SPACE)
- Trauma Informed Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Circle of Security Parenting Program (COS) with Kent Hoffman
- Dialectical Behavioral Training (DBT) with Dr. Lorne Korman and Dr. Kyle Burns
- Emotional Focused Family Therapy Level 1 – Dr. Adele Lafrance and Natasha Files
- Emotion Focused Family Therapy Level 2
- Working with LGBTQ Clients- Vancouver Coastal Health
- ADHD Parent Training Program