Cara Brand, M.A., Registered Clinical Counsellor
Cara holds an M.A. from the University of Victoria and is a Registered Clinical Counsellor. Her dedication to gaining further expertise led her to complete post-graduate training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Play Therapy, and Emotion Focused Family Therapy. She recently completed the intensive training in pediatric exposure and response prevention through the Behavioural Therapy Training Institute and completed training in Inference Based CBT (I-CBT) for OCD.
Cara has been providing counselling to children, teens, young adults, and families for the past five years. She continues to work in Vancouver Coastal Health’s Child and Youth Mental Health program. Cara specializes in working with children, teens, and young adults struggling with Anxiety, Depression, Trauma Related Symptoms, OCD and Body Focused Repetitive Behaviors. She is passionate about helping clients to not just survive but thrive and build a strong foundation for lifelong mental well-being.
At the core of Cara's therapeutic approach is the belief that a safe and trusting relationship is paramount when working with children, teens, and young adults. By combining evidence-based therapy with the cultivation of a strong relationship with her clients, Cara effectively assists her clients in understanding their thoughts and emotions, confronting fears, healing from past traumas, addressing problematic behaviors at home or school, and nurturing effective self-expression.
Cara is also devoted to collaborating with parents throughout the counseling process. Cara can provide coaching to parents on connecting with their own wisdom and inner strengths while equipping them with new tools to support their child's overall wellness.
- M.A. - University of Victoria
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Vancouver Coastal Health – Child and Youth Mental Health (CYMH) in Nanaimo and Vancouver
- Child and Family Counsellor - Victoria Youth Empowerment Society
Recent Continuing Education
- Pediatric Exposure and Response Prevention through the Behavioural Therapy Training Institute
- I-CBT Training through the Zen Psychological Centre
- Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions (SPACE)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - Anxiety (CBT-A) with Children and Youth by Dr. Anne Marie Albano
- EMDR Training (EMDRIA Approved), Trauma Institute & Child Trauma Institute
- Emotion Focused Family Therapy Level One, Mental Health Foundations
- Mindshift CBT Group Facilitation Certification, Anxiety Canada
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Behavioural Tech
- Synergetic Play Therapy, Play Therapy Institute of Colorado
- Expressive Play Therapy Levels 1 and 2, Justice Institute of BC
- Facing Your Fears: CBT with ASD, Autism Community Training
- Essentials of CBT, Beck Institute
- Advanced DSM-5, Applications of the DSM-5 in the CYMH Context, MCFD