Dr. Gabriela Ionita, Registered Psychologist
Gabriela holds a PhD from McGill University and has over 10 years of experience providing counselling to children, youth, young adults, and their families. Although she is effective at helping clients manage a number of issues, her main areas of practice are in Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Tics, Body Focused Repetitive Disorder, Depression, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
She is also a mother of two amazing and spirited children. Being a mother has provided her with an additional layer of understanding of the challenges faced by families and the incredible strengths that can be discovered within each family.
Gabriela can also speak Romanian.
- Ph.D. Counselling Psychology; McGill University
- M.A. Counselling Psychology; Simon Fraser University
- B.A. (Psychology): First Class Honours; Simon Fraser University
- Leap Clinic (Vancouver)
- Hamber House Adolescent Psychiatric Day Treatment Program (Vancouver)
- Saanich Child and Youth Mental Health (Pre-doctoral internship)
- Douglas Mental Health Institute (Adolescent Depressive Disorder Program & Dialectical Behavioural Therapy program; Montreal)
- The Emotional Health Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Clinic (Montreal)
- Options: Services to Communities (Family Strengthening and Intervention Program & Children with Special Needs Program; Surrey)
- Cameray Child and Family Services (New Westminster)
- Douglas College
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Adler University
- McGill University
- Ionita, G., Ciquier, G., Fitzpatrick, M. (2020). Barriers and facilitators to the use of progress monitoring measures in psychotherapy. Canadian Psychology.
- Ionita, G., Fitzpatrick, M., Tomaro, J., Chen, V., & Overington, L. (2016) Challenges of using progress monitoring measures: Insights from practicing clinicians. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 63(2), 173.
- Ionita, G., & Fitzpatrick (2014). Bringing science to clinical practice: A Canadian survey of psychological practice and usage of progress monitoring measures. Canadian Psychology, 55(3), 187-196. Won Best Paper of the Year Award from Canadian Psychology
- Full list available here
Recent Continuing Education
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) with Russ Harris
- Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions (SPACE)
- Tourette Association of America: Behavior Therapy Institute's - CBIT Training
- International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) Pediatric BTTI Intensive Training in OCD
- Behavioural Tech Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) Training
- Cutting Edge Strategies to Improve Executive Function Skills with Sarah Ward
- Working with LGBTQ Clients - Vancouver Coastal Health