Dr. Gabriela Ionita, Registered Psychologist
Gabriela holds a PhD from McGill University and has over 10 years of experience providing counselling to children, youth, young adults, and their families. Although she is effective at helping clients manage a number of issues, her main areas of practice are in Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Tics, Body Focused Repetitive Disorder, Depression, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
She is also a mother of two amazing and spirited children. Being a mother has provided her with an additional layer of understanding of the challenges faced by families and the incredible strengths that can be discovered within each family.
- Ph.D. Counselling Psychology; McGill University
- M.A. Counselling Psychology; Simon Fraser University
- B.A. (Psychology): First Class Honours; Simon Fraser University
- Leap Clinic (Vancouver)
- Hamber House Adolescent Psychiatric Day Treatment Program (Vancouver)
- Saanich Child and Youth Mental Health (Pre-doctoral internship)
- Douglas Mental Health Institute (Adolescent Depressive Disorder Program & Dialectical Behavioural Therapy program; Montreal)
- The Emotional Health Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Clinic (Montreal)
- Options: Services to Communities (Family Strengthening and Intervention Program & Children with Special Needs Program; Surrey)
- Cameray Child and Family Services (New Westminster)
- Douglas College
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Adler University
- McGill University
- Ionita, G., Ciquier, G., Fitzpatrick, M. (2020). Barriers and facilitators to the use of progress monitoring measures in psychotherapy. Canadian Psychology.
- Ionita, G., Fitzpatrick, M., Tomaro, J., Chen, V., & Overington, L. (2016) Challenges of using progress monitoring measures: Insights from practicing clinicians. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 63(2), 173.
- Ionita, G., & Fitzpatrick (2014). Bringing science to clinical practice: A Canadian survey of psychological practice and usage of progress monitoring measures. Canadian Psychology, 55(3), 187-196. Won Best Paper of the Year Award from Canadian Psychology
- Full list available here
Recent Continuing Education
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) with Russ Harris
- Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions (SPACE)
- Tourette Association of America: Behavior Therapy Institute's - CBIT Training
- International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) Pediatric BTTI Intensive Training in OCD
- Behavioural Tech Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) Training
- Cutting Edge Strategies to Improve Executive Function Skills with Sarah Ward
- Working with LGBTQ Clients - Vancouver Coastal Health